Sharekhan is a full-service stockbroking company in India which began its operations in February 2000 through its parent company S.S. Kantilal Ishwarlal Securities Limited (SSKI). It is one of the leading stockbrokers in the space with around 6% of retail broking market share as of May 2017 and is currently ranked 3rd overall.
With a presence in over 575 cities, Sharekhan has around 170 branches and 2200+ franchise partners. Sharekhan was one of the very few stockbrokers to have an early online presence and still backs itself with high tech trading softwares and platforms.
"Sharekhan was sold out to BNP Paribas on 30th July 2015 for ₹2200 Crore. At the time of its sold out, this full-service stockbroker had a base of 12 lakh clients."
Being a full-service stockbroker, Sharekhan provides research and recommendations to its clients through their in-house research team of experts. These tips and reports are at both fundamental and technical level for long-term investors and short-term traders respectively. The quality of these research reports and tips are just average though.
At the same time, Sharekhan with its premium services sets up representative or relationship managers with its clients so that their portfolio can be individually monitored. However, this service is given major attention when your overall turnover or stock market deposit is pretty decent, let's say in the range of at least ₹5 Lakh or more.
Sharekhan is accredited by NSE, BSE, MCX-SX, MCX & NCDEX for the following segments:
- Mutual Funds
- Advisory services
- PMS (Portfolio management services)
Sharekhan Trading Platforms
Sharekhan has multiple trading platforms for both desktops as well as mobile. Here are the details:
Trade Tiger is a stock trading application that customers can use through their desktops or laptops. It is claimed to be as powerful as the terminal of a broker. Tradetiger helps you to trade across different financial segments including equities, currencies, commodities, derivatives, IPOs and mutual funds.
Since the platform is a hybrid cloud-based application, traders can create customized market watch lists and access those from different machines by logging into the system. Tradetiger comes with the following features as well:
- High-quality charts for detailed research and stock analysis
- Instant pay in/pay out via 14 national banks
- Access to all trading calls, market tips by the technical and fundamental research desk
- Customized alerts and notifications based on user preferences for quick reminders on stocks and exchanges
It is a pretty mature trading application and has been used by a huge number of clients for more than a decade. The application has seen quite a few upgrades and technology enhancements over these years.
Sharekhan has had a strange history when it comes to mobile apps. Sharekhan has launched multiple mobile apps in the last few years and when one app gets a lot of negativity in terms of ratings and feedbacks, instead of incorporating those feedbacks, Sharekhan simply launched a new mobile app altogether.
Most recently they have launched a new app with their brand name itself. The application. The app, till now, has received a relatively positive response from both Google Play as well as Apple store based on speed, performance, and accuracy.
The app comes with the following features:
- Trading facility across market exchanges
- Live reports, news, market trends
- Fund transfer facility from bank to Sharekhan trading account
Here is the demo and walk through video of ShareMobile:
Some of the concerns with the mobile app include:
- Login issues
- Performance goes down in small cities with users having lower internet connection bandwidths.
- Mutual funds investment reports not available
For users living in small towns and villages, Sharekhan has a browser-based mobile trading solution called Sharekhan Mini. This application works relatively smoothly on lower internet connection bandwidths and works as a better performance trading solution for users with 2G internet connections.
Some of the features of this application include:
- Allows you to perform basic level analysis through charting and company information
- You can invest in different classes such as Equity, Commodity, Currency as well as mutual funds
- Data points such as 52-week high/low, gainers and losers of the day etc are displayed
- Works fine on basic smartphones with 2G internet connection
Sharekhan Web Trading
Sharekhan does offer a web-based trading application as well and to access it you need to browse the Sharekhan website, click on login and put in your credentials to start trading. Some of the features of this application are as follows:
- Trading across multiple segments
- Lightweight application requiring basic configuration
- Order confirmations communicated via email and SMS
- Research and recommendations from more than 120 companies listed on the stock market across 6 industry domains.
- 'Pattern finder' feature helps the investor to screen stocks that are healthy for long-term investments.
- 'O Alert' feature integrates the trading application with 3rd party technical analysis softwares for automated order alerts.
Sharekhan Customer Service
Sharekhan is one biggest names in the stockbroking space in India. Thus, users have all the rights to have huge expectations from the broker in terms of reliability and quality service. Sharekhan provides the following channels to its users for customer service:
- Toll-Free Number
- Chat (intermittently available)
- Offline Locations (through sub-brokers and franchise offices)
- Social Media
When it comes to quality, this full-service stockbroker leaves no stone unturned in making sure users get a wide range of communication channels to get back to the broker. The support executives are decently trained and speak in multiple languages depending on the user's location.
Without a doubt, Sharekhan lives up to its expectations when it comes to servicing its client base. No doubt, they have one of the highest number of active clients in India.
Sharekhan Brokerage Charges
There are 2 plans proposed by Sharekhan to its customers - Prepaid and Postpaid. The idea is simple - more margin money you put into your account, less brokerage percentage you have to pay to the broker.
For instance, under the postpaid plan, if you put in margin money of ₹50,000 - you have to pay a brokerage of 0.4% while for a margin money of ₹5 Lakhs - the brokerage drops of 0.18%.Calculate Brokerage and Your Profit by using this Sharekhan Brokerage Calculator
If you open your account with an initial trading account deposit of ₹25,000, then you need to pay a brokerage rate of 0.5% for the delivery segment and similarly relatively high values for other segments. At the same time, if you start with the trading account balance of ₹1,00,000 then your brokerage drops to half at 0.25% for delivery.
You need to understand that whatever balance you are adding to your trading account balance is refundable in nature and in fact, if needed you can reverse it back to your bank account after 3 days of depositing.
You can check the detailed information here at Sharekhan Review.